Setting up Android Devices for Google Apps @ NC State
OIT recommends the use of the dedicated Gmail application on your Android device to access your Google Apps email account.
The application integrates with Contacts and other Android applications, and includes the following features:
- Email pushed automatically to your phone
- Search all your messages
- Access synched messages when off line
- View messages by conversation
- Manage multiple Gmail accounts
- Stars, labels, and many other features
For more information on using the App, visit Gmail App for Android - Google Mobile Help
Other Configuration Options
You are able to use to the "Email" application, but you will lose most of the functionality listed above.
To configure the "Email" app on an Android device using ActiveSync or IMAP settings, do the following:
ActiveSync/Corporate Sync Settings
- Synchronize your Google Apps mail, contacts, and calendar
- Domain: google\unityID@ncsu.edu NOTE: Could be separate fields, Domain and Username
- Password: Your Unity Password
- Exchange Server: m.google.com
- Check 'Use secure connection (SSL)’
- Check 'Accept all SSL certificates'
Apply the settings specified on the IMAP Settings page
Synchronize your Google Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts
Be sure to read Google's information on keeping your Gmail, Calendar, and Contacts in sync.